Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Jackfruit Vendor

gem: Jackfruit as my Dessert: "Nangka in Cebuano Dialect One of the nice things having our office here in Lipata, Minglanilla are the reasonably priced fruits sold just ..."

It seems very obvious now that the jackfruit vendor already recognizes myself as her regular customer. Well, I admit it's really hard to resist not to shell out my P30 almost everyday for her nangka. My friend and I always go together when we buy our lunch viand. I regularly asked my friend's opinion if her nangka is good as if to confirm my judgement. So somehow the vendor already knows her also.

One time I wasn't feeling well, so I asked my friend to buy for me. When my friend passed by her stall she called onto her marketing her nangka. So when my friend went to her to buy, she asked where am I. My friend told her that the nangka was actually for me. Maybe this really confirmed her assumption that I'm the incessant nangka-eater.

However, what happened this afternoon somewhat surprised and amused me. I went to her stall alone because my friend went to Julie's bakeshop to buy Pan de Coco. As I was haggling for the price because her nangka's cut are lesser than the usual P30-cut I used to buy, my friend suddenly emerged by her side. Nangka-lover as I am, I had no choice but bought her lesser-cut thirty-peso nangka. After she put it in a plastic bag, she naturally gave it to my friend and, I think absent-mindedly, my friend accepted it also as if it were her own. The moment I saw it unfolding and realized what happened I was really amused.

As my friend and I walked on our way to our office, I was laughing as I talked to her about it. I told her  I was amused that the vendor considered her as my assistant. My friend, who was also laughing, said she didn't mind it and that the vendor must've been not in her normal self or in good focus state. I told my friend that no offense on her but the vendor viewed us as having a boss-assistant relationship. This isn't true though. Maybe my physical outlook looks like it but my friend and I are just the same humble employee.

On the other hand, the nangka I bought is really of lesser quantity because I gobbled it from the time I'm writing this blog until I finished this. Nevertheless, the nangka tastes so sweet. Indeed, so delicious.

No comments: