Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Caimito

The visibility of caimito (star apple) in fruit stands implies that summer is undeniably here. It has now been my third day of eating caimito as my lunch dessert. It could've been coincidence that the nangka (jackfruit) sold by my suki (regular vendor) wasn't of good aura that made me bought my first caimito for the year. Then I somehow make it now regularly.

Having this caimitos kind of remind me my childhood summer. My grandparents used to have lots of caimito trees. They had the green-colored and the purple-colored fruit of caimito variety. My male older cousins at that time would climb up the tree bringing with them the "kuhit" (long stick with a basket-like pouch attached) for getting those fruits that are at the tip of the weak branches which are of course hard to reach. Me, I just stayed on the ground and looked up at them busy clinging and transferring from branches to branches and sometimes they would ate up there. They would also bring with them basket with rope tied in it for storing the fruits they'd plucked. Once the basket is full, they would bring it to the ground through the rope. Since, us, apo (grandchildren), couldn't consume it all, my cousins would then sell it house to house for a very cheap price.

Another thing that reminds me are the caimito blossomed flowers which I think would happen when the it is about to bear its fruits. My cousins would then enjoy gathering the fallen flowers on the ground by inserting the tiny-middle whole of the flower with a single strand of "silhig lanot" (broom made of gebang palm) to make it into necklace or bracelet. It was just for the fun of it.

Back then it was just so simple. Caimito eating was just so priceless. Now, I have to buy it at P30 a kilo (maybe it's cheaper in flea market). I am devouring three pieces of it, the usual half-kilo quantity, every lunch time. Too many? no, I don't feel full after eating it. Maybe, one kilo of it will do. Shocks!!!! can I really do it? hhhmmmm..... well, I think there's  no harm in doing it. After all, it's a nutritious food.

1 comment:

ferenzie said...

YUMMY KAAYO TANAWN. TING CAIMITO NA DIAY RON DIHA>