Monday, July 23, 2007

My Stagnant Career

I’m bored of my job. But they said you have to love your job to be productive. Or am I really bored of my job alone or bored of my life? This is the question that keeps haunting me.

Basically I think I’m disappointed of the turn of events of my career. I want to be in a big company where there are good benefits, many colleagues that I could be friend of and (I’ve just realized lately) – no Saturday work. I’ve realized that I should’ve known what I wanted from the start. Even when I was choosing my course career or if not when I was looking for a job after graduation.

I love my previous job before. It was very challenging, many personnel that I could interact with but unrewarding, which made me quit. So without so much hassle I landed in my present work now. Not much stress but I already realized even from the start that it’s a boring job. The pay is okay but no benefits given except what’s required by the Department of Labor. In some ways, my transfer to another company is just a breakeven of my personal satisfaction.

I’m already more than two years in my present work now and I slowly applied for some better jobs posted in the net. There is this bank that I tried applying without much expectation and was happy to learned that my application was given the status of “under consideration” for two weeks. Unfortunately just today I checked and knew that my application was unsuccessful, meaning the employer has found a better applicant. So I ponder, what now? Will I be stuck in this job for the rest of my life? Should I just accept that there’s no better company out there hiring that would fit my qualification?

After graduation, I had dreamed of working in a big company working my way up to a higher position. So it was really a great relief to be accepted in a manufacturing company not knowing what I’ll be in to. Sadly I wasn’t able to adjust to the working environment and to the work assigned to me. I was so naïve then. I wasn’t able to observe the company’s set up. They practiced putting an employee on their own feet without much guide and so I drowned. Naturally, I resigned.

My family was depending on me at that time for my financial help so I can’t afford to have myself jobless. After my first job, I lost confidence of my self-capabilities and decided to make a new start. I immediately accepted a job without knowing much about the company because of the pressure of having money. I slowly worked my way and I admit it wasn’t really easy. There were times when I wanted to quit because of humiliation but I thought, “Where will I go?” I didn’t have much experience of accounting works. So I stayed and conquered all the difficult challenges that came. It was really tears and laughter in that job. I enjoyed and loved it. I was awarded as an Outstanding Office Employee for the year. But as I’ve said, the risk outweighs the compensation I received.

Now in my current job, I’m the manager of myself. This is the greatest gift I considered every time I think of my past hardships, in work and in family matters. But I’ve come now to the boredom point of my work. I have now new demand/s - to have a no Saturday work for a singular demand and to have further benefits if allowed to make it plural. I’ll be okay to have just one of both if I’m to stay in this company. Maybe I’ll just learn to love more of my work when I’ll have a baby hence, my enthusiasm will be focused in my newfound life. But now I’m really bored.

What am I thinking? Maybe I’m just not contented of what I have and wanting to acquire everything I want in life. HHHhhaaaaaayyyyy…….. I don’t know….. God is maybe really confused of me. What do you think?

No comments: